Yes, if you are traveling on behalf of Virginia Tech, you or a delegate are required to complete a preapproval in the Chrome River system for international travel. If you are using Virginia Tech Foundation funds and traveling on behalf of the University, you or a delegate will need to enter an Intl Travel/Risk Management expense in the Chrome River system using a state fund number. The fund number determines how the report routes through the system for approval.
- Yes, all U.S. Citizens travelling outside the continental United States should have a valid U.S. passport, with an expiration date at least 6 months after the end of your travel dates.
- For additional information regarding a U.S. Passport, visit U.S. Passports: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html
- Virginia Tech U.S. Passport Acceptance Facility offers products and services needed for a first-time passport and renewal passport applications. For additional information visit: https://campuslife.vt.edu/secl_services/passport-acceptance-facility.html
It depends upon the country and the reason for travel. Currently, the United States has visa waiver programs in place with 38 countries. If traveling for tourism, you will not need a visa. For any other reason for travel or for travel to non-visa waiver countries, consult the country specific information available on https://travel.state.gov website.
- Travelers should make sure their passport is valid at least six months after returning home and has two or more blank pages, or some countries may not let them enter.
- Alert your bank and credit card companies that you will be traveling abroad with your travel dates. Ask if your credit or debit cards will work in the country you are visiting.
- Research the electrical plugs and voltages for your travel destination. You may need to purchase converters and adapters prior to departure.
- Make two copies of all of your travel documents in case of emergency and leave one with a trusted friend or relative.
- Assemble a carry-on bag to include all items that you cannot afford to lose such as passport, medications, one day of clothes, etc.
List of Resources
- Controller’s Office Travel Procedures
- Global Education Office
- Chrome River
- Travel Clinic
- VT Engage
- VT Passport Acceptance Facility